Don’t you just love homemade applesauce? The smell of the apples cooking, combined with cinnamon and nutmeg, is wonderful aromatherapy!
Homemade applesauce is very easy to make. It can be made at a moment’s notice. I like to can or freeze several batches during the fall, which is definitely apple season. However, this recipe can be made any time of year.
While “cooking” apples are the best for this recipe, I have even used apples that I bought for snacking. They were soft and mushy inside and not very good for eating raw. However, they made a great applesauce. My favorite sauce is full of chunky apples cooked until just tender and served warm. Yum! I love that it is naturally gluten-free. Do you like chunky applesauce? Or smooth?
My original applesauce recipe called for cinnamon and nutmeg. That was until I had the most delicious applesauce while at a neighbor’s house for dinner. My neighbor Mary was so sweet to share her secret ingredient with me! Pumpkin pie spice!Print
Is there anything better than homemade applesauce? Fresh apples are cooked with just the right amount of spices until tender. Yum!
- 4 medium cooking apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- In medium saucepan, bring apples and water to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally to break up the apples. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool some before serving.
For smooth applesauce, mash the apples.
Sample apples before adding sugar. Add sugar until the desired amount of sweetness is achieved.
Keywords: homemade applesauce
Looking for a last-minute gift idea? Homemade applesauce is a great gift idea from the kitchen. Tuck it into a small basket lined with a pretty dish towel. Add a loaf of fresh-baked gluten-free banana bread and you have the perfect thank you, welcome to the neighborhood, birthday or Christmas gift.
You might also enjoy these gluten-free fall recipes:
Mock Apple Pie