Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Baking with Bridget will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support!
If you love strawberries and vanilla, you will not be disappointed in this Gluten-Free Strawberry Vanilla Cake! It is one of my favorite cake recipes to make during the summer.
Don’t you just love it when you create something that turns out even better than you imagined? Recently, I had some not so great strawberries. While their color was great they were lacking in the taste department. I decided to toss them into an old-fashioned vanilla cake recipe I was converting to gluten-free.
Oh my gosh, I was thrilled with this new recipe! I knew I needed to make some changes. However, I remarked to my husband about how good this cake would be with ripe strawberries that were full of flavor! Made with homemade vanilla and fresh strawberries, this scrumptious cake will not disappoint even the pickiest of cake eaters.
While I had the recipe perfected after the second try, the frosting still needed some help. I frosted the first cake with homemade vanilla frosting. It was very creamy, but too sweet. On the second cake, I made a cream cheese frosting which was divine but my husband thought it was a little heavy for the cake. (Personally, my eyes rolled back in my head! It was super yummy!) Third time was the charm! I went back to the first vanilla frosting recipe and increased the butter and vanilla. Mmm… delicious!
We were having friends over for the afternoon. Although they are not gluten-free, I served my new cake recipe for dessert and our friend said, “This was the best cake I have had in a long time.” Yep, I was doing the happy dance on the inside!!!Print
Fresh strawberries bursting in flavor combined with the rich flavor of vanilla in this gluten-free cake are positively divine!
- 2 ¼ cups gluten-free almond flour blend
- 1 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 2/3 cup lard
- 1¼ cups milk
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Xanthan gum
- 5 egg whites
- 1 ½ cup fresh strawberries, washed, dried and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour (or line with parchment paper) 2 round cake pans (9 X 1 ½ inches).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and Xanthan gum.
- Combine all ingredients (except egg whites) in a large bowl. Beat on low-speed, scraping the bowl constantly, for 30 seconds. Beat on high-speed, scraping the bowl occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Beat in egg whites on high-speed, scraping the bowl occasionally, 2 minutes. Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit approximately 5 minutes.
- Turn pans onto wire cooling racks and gently lift the pans up. If you used parchment paper to line your cake pans, peel it off. Allow the cake rounds to completely cool and frost with creamy vanilla frosting.
- For maximum flavor, use ripe strawberries.
- For a richer cake, frost with homemade cream cheese frosting.
I hope you enjoy this Gluten-Free Strawberry Vanilla Cake as much as my family does! This delicious dessert would be a wonderful way to celebrate a graduation, Memorial Day, Father’s Day or 4th of July.
From my kitchen to yours,