Homegrown strawberries and rhubarb are delicious baked in a buttery gluten-free pie crust. Perfect for celebrating summer!
1 1/3 cups cane sugar
6 Tablespoons gluten-free almond blend flour
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
2 cups rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1 1/3 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Prepare pastry and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and orange peel.
- Spoon half of rhubarb and strawberries into pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining rhubarb, strawberries and sugar mixture. Dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust; seal and flute. Cut 2 inch slits into pie. Sprinkle top crust with sugar. Cover pie edge with 2 to 3 inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until top crust is brown and juice begins to bubble. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
Substitute one (10 ounce) package frozen rhubarb, partially thawed for 2 cups of fresh rhubarb. Decrease sugar to 2/3 cup.
Keywords: gluten-free rhubarb strawberry pie