Don’t you just love to pair rhubarb and strawberries together? Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is full of homemade goodness! If you love sweet and tart, you will love this pie!
If you are a rhubarb fan, you will be delighted with this homemade gluten free pie. Paired with sweet strawberries in a rich buttery crust it is just as wonderful as grandmas!
Did you know rhubarb is a perennial vegetable? Which seems crazy since it is used in pies, tarts and sauces. When we lived in Montana, we had two huge rhubarb plants in our yard. I loved harvesting it!
My husband is not a rhubarb fan but I love it. However, one person can only eat so much rhubarb. My favorite way to make it is stewed with a bit of sugar. I cut the stalks into one inch pieces, place in a freezer bag and freeze to use later. It is super yummy served warm or stirred into a bowl of yogurt.
If you are planting rhubarb in your garden, be sure to place at the end of one side of the garden where it will not be disturbed. It may produce fresh fruit for five years or more. Only eat the crisp stalks of this plant. The leaves are poisonous.
<<Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is just one of the 26 delicious pie recipes in Your Gluten-Free Pie Tin Cookbook. Click here to pick up your copy today!>>Print
Homegrown strawberries and rhubarb are delicious baked in a buttery gluten-free pie crust. Perfect for celebrating summer!
1 1/3 cups cane sugar
6 Tablespoons gluten-free almond blend flour
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
2 cups rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1 1/3 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Prepare pastry and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and orange peel.
- Spoon half of rhubarb and strawberries into pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining rhubarb, strawberries and sugar mixture. Dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust; seal and flute. Cut 2 inch slits into pie. Sprinkle top crust with sugar. Cover pie edge with 2 to 3 inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until top crust is brown and juice begins to bubble. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
Substitute one (10 ounce) package frozen rhubarb, partially thawed for 2 cups of fresh rhubarb. Decrease sugar to 2/3 cup.
Keywords: gluten-free rhubarb strawberry pie
“One little thing can revive a guy and that is a homemade rhubarb pie. Serve it up nice and hot . Mmaybe things aren’t as bad as you thought.” ~ A Prairie Home Companion
Did you fall in love with this old-fashioned gluten-free rhubarb pie? It definitely has a unique yet delicious taste.
Did you like this recipe? You might also enjoy these gluten-free strawberry recipes.