Chocolate and peanut butter just go together. Covered in dark chocolate, Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Balls are a holiday family favorite.
My family began making homemade chocolate Christmas candy when I was in grade school. I can remember sitting at the table with my two older brothers rolling peanut butter candy into balls. The more we rolled, the bigger the balls got. The older I get, the more I treasure special memories. I have carried this holiday tradition over to my family.
The year I got engaged to my husband, I had this beautifully wrapped plate of creamy peanut balls for my godparents sitting on the kitchen counter. I left to run an errand. Upon returning home, I found the plate empty and my fiancé’s dog, Heidi, not feeling so good. Heidi survived her over indulgence just fine but ever since then, every year when I make these delicious candies I can’t help but to remember Heidi, the canine peanut butter ball thief!
I like to give homemade Christmas gifts from my kitchen and this chocolate candy makes a great gluten-free gift idea. Throughout the year, I buy pretty plates from our local thrift store to put homemade goodies on. Wrapped in cellophane and tied with Bakers twine, they make a festive homemade gift. I hope these rich and creamy peanut butter balls will become a holiday tradition with your family!Print
Creamy peanut butter covered in dark chocolate! This gluten-free candy recipe is divine!
Ingredients for Candy Centers:
- 2 cups peanut butter, smooth
- 2 sticks butter, unsalted
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
Ingredients for Chocolate Coating:
- 4 cups Ghirardelli chocolate chips (60% cacao)
- 1-2 Tablespoons coconut oil or shortening
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Using a heavy mixer, mix together melted butter, peanut butter and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Chill for 2 hours or overnight.
For Chocolate Coating:
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil or shortening. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Using a candy dipping spoon, dip balls into chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip off and place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
Use a stand or heavy-duty hand mixer for the candy centers.
If you are not a fan of dark chocolate, use milk or semi-sweet chips.
Keywords: gluten-free peanut butter balls
You might also enjoy these gluten-free candy recipes:
From my kitchen to yours,