You won’t believe how incredibly moist these Gluten-Free Iced Apple Cookies are. Made with delicious spices, these soft and chewy cookies are a family favorite!
Since I live in the desert, turning the calendar over to September has always been a big deal to me. It signifies that cooler weather is on its way, even though it may not arrive until the end of October! Seriously though, I feel like we have made it through another hot summer!!! Cooler days also mean baking days! (In August, I start perusing through gluten-free baking recipes for fall.) To celebrate this big event, I always bake a huge batch of these delicious gluten-free apple cookies. It has become a tradition for me. The tantalizing aroma of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, helps you to almost smell fall in the air.
While the gluten-free cookies are baking, I get out my fall kitchen decorations. 🙂 I have vintage salt and pepper pumpkins that sit in the garden window. I also sprinkle silk leaves throughout the garden window. It is so much fun to bring the change of seasons into my home. On days that I am not baking, I like to put some cinnamon sticks and apple slices in a small Crock Pot to simmer throughout the day. It really is wonderful aromatherapy!
One of my favorite things about iced apple cookies, is you can really use any kind of apple. I have not used tart apples, such as Granny Smith. However, I love Pink Lady, Gala, Braeburn and even Red Delicious (which is my least favorite apple). Pick your favorite apple to use in this delicious gluten-free cookie recipe.Print
Fresh chopped apples, combined with cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, are delicious in this soft and chewy cookie. They are great for packing in school lunches and for afternoon snacks!
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups gluten-free almond blend flour
- 1 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Xanthan gum
- 1 cup apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons apple cider
- 3 cups Confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until combined. Gently stir in apples and 1/4 cup of apple cider. Drop by Tablespoons on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes and remove from oven. Let sit for five minutes and transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Once cooled, frost if desired.
To Make Icing:
- In a small bowl, combine the sifted Confectioners’ sugar, remaining butter and apple cider. Stir until icing is smooth. Frost cooled cookies.
For variety, add a cup of raisins to the dough.
After frosting the cookies, let them sit out to allow the icing to “harden.”
Gluten-free Iced Apple Cookies are an easy dessert recipe for celebrating Autumn and back-to-school days!
Are you looking for more delicious gluten-free apple recipes? You might also enjoy:
Are you running out of ideas to use up those zucchini from the garden? Mock Apple Pie is a fun gluten-free dessert recipe!
Thick slices of warm homemade zucchini bread are a wonderful snack idea! This gluten-free quick bread is delicious with butter on top!